JOB SUMMARY: SOCIAL WORKER
Responsible for the emotional, social and economic welfare of patients admitted in the hospital and those brought to the hospital without close relatives including abandoned children, in cooperation and participation with health workers, investigates the family situations traumas and worries of patients who appear helpless and those unable to meet their health and medical care costs . Follows up complicated cases and gives necessary advice to the health workers, Hospital Administration and the patients or their relatives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interviews patients’ families, friends, neighbors and opinion leaders so as to obtain information pertaining to the social, economic, environmental and emotional difficulties of the patients which influence their diagnosis.
- Carries out professional counseling to patients and their families in order to alleviate anxieties and assists them to go through difficult emotional stressors associated with illness and such injury as disfigurement, permanent disability, an uncertain future as in the case of unwanted motherhood or fatherhood as well as abandonment.
- Enables patients to participate fully in health care provision by assisting them understand their individual treatment and obligations to enhance effectiveness and maximum benefit.
Gives timely advice to the Hospital Administration or the Medical Officer in charge, concerning the social- economic situation of the affected patient.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Social Worker and Social Administration from a recognized University.
- Must be computer literate
- Medical background of either registered Nursing or Midwife will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years working experience preferably in a hospital setup.
Interested candidates should submit their applications not later than 15th September 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Please address your application to the Human Resource Manager, Uganda Martyrs Hospital Lubaga, P.O. Box 14130 Kampala.